RSS Feed

Dear Loblaws, I Hate You

Posted by lifestyle On May - 9 - 2008

MONDO takes on the corporate giants

By Jenny Bundock
Illustrations by Dara Gold

Today, I woke up and was craving coconut. I am a coconut fanatic. I like it in and on everything. I could (and do) eat coconut oil with a spoon. Coconut is amazing. Sadly the only place that I can get a real coconut that is still in its shell is at Loblaws. I don’t shop at Loblaws if I can avoid it but sometimes you just really want something only they have (Fruit Loops, coconuts, something in a box) and you decide “what the hell, I’ll brave that sprawling food warehouse and get what I need.” Today was that day for me.

Big mistake.

Not only did I have to pay almost two dollars for a coconut that was shrink-wrapped with plastic. It’s a fucking coconut! You have to break it open with a hammer! Its existing package could not be more durable or designed better to protect the product inside. Did someone say “Hmm, you know, this coconut isn’t producing enough landfill waste… couldn’t we wrap it in plastic or something?” We are a sick, sick species.

Anyways, not only did I have to pay two dollars for a coconut that was wrapped in plastic, but the coconut itself WAS MOULDY! And I couldn’t tell, because a big ass logo was covering the crack in the shell, and the plastic masked the overwhelming mouldy smell. As near as I can tell, Loblaws has invested in plastic-covered coconuts exclusively to deceive me.

To make matters worse, now I have to go back to Loblaws for the second time today to return my mouldy coconut and demand a new, non-mould infested one, which means I also have fight my way into a second coconut today. Oh joy, oh bliss.

Yet another reason to hate Loblaws!

I’m adding “mouldy coconuts” to my ongoing list of things I hate about Loblaws.

It is as follows:

1) The fake “European market” design.

You’ve noticed this, I am sure, but next time you are at a Loblaws, really look around. Notice the murals at the top of the stores, painted with stalls like it’s a farmers market. Notice the carts that they have all the fruit piled up on, or, like my Loblaws, the fake wooden shutters that open into the other half of the store up by the roof. They truly must think we are all idiots. Like a twig in a jar that you’ve trapped a bug inside, this almost resembles a natural habitat.

2) Horny teenagers who work there, who make you feel like YOU are the meat attendant rather than the other way around.

“Can I have some feta please?”

“You can have whatever you want.” *wink*

“Really!? Then I’ll have your shoes, an elephant steak, and a monkey with red hair who picks up my dry-cleaning and answers to Jed.”

3) The fact that their person in the produce section doesn’t know anything but where the piles of produce are.

“Excuse me, are the papayas GMO free?”

“Papayas are over near the tomatoes.”

“Uh… thanks”

These people make me crazy. They are paid to stack fruit and point. Lame.

4) The excess of choice, that in actuality, eats up most of your day…

Do I really want this deodorant? Or this one? What is the different between sweet peach and fuzzy peach scent? What if I don’t feel like a goddess? What razor do I buy? Thank you, capitalism.

5) The fact that you can’t buy five things without walking through the whole store, which almost requires a Sherpa guide and survival supplies.

Let’s see, I want an avocado, bread, spinach, cheese, and a bar of soap… 20 minutes later…

6) That all the bread they bake that day is crusty white bread.

Which is fine if you aren’t particularly attached to your colon, or are attached to your poop. Neither of which I happen to be.

7) The magazines by the cash.

I go out of my way to not know who is on “bump watch” or who lost a zillion pounds this month, or who found them or what Tom Cruise is doing that is particularly nutty this week, and then, BAM — right by the cash, summarized for me into six neat and tidy headlines, everything I didn’t want to know.

8) The featured wasteful shitty products.

Today, I walked in and there was a special on paper towels and bottled water (two brands!) all stacked up when you walk in the front doors. Fucking awesome! I could use that bottled water to wet my Swiffer mop, and then use those towels to wipe up afterwards so that the floor is dry faster, then I’ll wash up my dishes with those cloth-ish pads that have the soap infused into them, and after I’ve worked my appetite up I’ll drink two to three juice-boxes, have a snack-pack, and then when I’m done I’ll have half a trash-bag full of shit to go out to the shed. But I only buy the GREEN brand trash-bags, because conservation is so in right now.

9) The canning and bagging of cultural foods.

I love Indian food, but just as I wouldn’t buy pre-cheesed bagels or food from my own heritage in a bag (like croissants or mashed potatoes in a box as a mix), I sure as hell know better than to buy Indian food in some kind of “heat in the bag” pouch. I don’t even feed my cat food out of a pouch. Thanks for the gross out, Galen Weston.

10) The size of everything.

Ever notice how you can’t easily buy small quantities of anything there? Or if you want a small quantity you have to pay out the ass for it? Like if you want a small jar of BBQ sauce it’s $2.65… but a litre of BBQ sauce is only $2.89, so you’d be a sucker to not get three times as much for only 20 cents more! Except now you have to find shit to put a litre of BBQ sauce on, which likely means buying even more stuff from Loblaws, and no doubt eating your way into intensive care.

11) And finally, Mouldy Coconuts.

Now, you’ve fought your way through the store, you’ve got your little basket of eight items or less, you’ve waited for the sweet (yet advantageous) little old lady with 45 items who is in the eight items line to finish paying with all her pennies from the bottom of her purse, you’ve bagged your stuff up, declined buying one of those black bags that has a big President’s Choice logo on it, you’ve resisted all the SALES and DEALS you don’t need, made it home safe and sound, peeled the cellophane off your coconut, cracked it open, and discovered that it is mouldy. And you have to go back.

Dear Loblaws, I hate you.

Love,

Jenny

19 Comments

1. Leo K. Moncel says:

No, no, no! You gotta understand that Loblaw’s is the lesser of three evils right now. They’re in a war with Sobey’s and Dominion. Have you ever been in a Sobey’s? It’s got every problem you just described but it’s more expensive and the house brand sucks! Have you ever been in a Dominion? Oh God, don’t get me started!
    The best chain supermarkets are any large No Frills’. They’re big enough to have a large selection of stuff but they’re still cheap and the food is generally pretty good. But, if I am forced between the three upscale poisons – Loblaw’s/Dominion/Sobey’s, my pick is with Loblaw’s by a country mile.
    Another bonus of Loblaw’s – they tend to have pretty good clearance produce.

2. Jenny says:

I have not been in a Sobey’s ever or a Dominion in a really long time… mostly because 24 hour grocery stores terrify me (ultra/Dominion) and Sobey’s, I just never felt the need. I usually shop at St. Lawrence Market, Farmers Markets, or the grocery store I worked at for alomst 2 years called Farmer’s Daughter… so I agree it is the lesser of the 3 BIG evils, but to me it is the most evil of my 4 choices… If I wrote about how those other worse grocery stores are, the article would be much longer, and also likely less accurate, as I generally avoid big boxes all together. AAnnnnnnnddd even though it is the lesser evil, it’s still pretty damn evil… where as independent stores are moderatly to barely evil… so I’m happy to advocate for not shopping at any big grocery store at all if you can.

3. Miles says:

I think I know the ‘laws you speak of because I use it on a multiple-times-a-week basis. It’s a necessary evil. I used to live in Kensington Market and enjoined the pleasant atmosphere, specialty shops, low prices, and fresh meat and produce. Shopping used to be a 15 minute activity, now it takes an hour and twenty minutes. Now, I have to navigate the worst building designed known to mankind. It’s a people traffic monstrosity.

And as much as I hate the Lablaws and the people who spend their money it it (myself included) I can’t abide the No Frills in my neighborhood. While the cereal might be 70 cents cheaper, the fruit is already rotten by the time you’ve made it to the checkout counter. While the candy is a dollar cheaper, there’s no way to reach it because the aisle are sized for cats and not humans.

My point? Shopping at my corner store is a lot better.

4. Jenny says:

I often feel like shopping anywhere would be better than at some giganto store… and you always get suckered into buying shit you didn’t want… just because the price is good and you pass by. It’s so annoying, because you get it home and if it is something like a huge box of weird granola cereal, you think “well, I’ll probably eat it at some point…and it is pretty healthy I guess” and if it is somehing like pizza pops you think “fuck, I’m probably going to eat these at some point… and I may as well go eat tasty tasty poo” *shakes fist* LOBLAWS!

and I hear you about the no frills/price choppers. They are not at all worth the potential savings… because you are forced even more so to buy the army surpluss size of everything, or all the B produce that wasn’t good enough for the fancy end of their chains… and for what… the same frustraiting food-mall shopping experience, surly customer service and warehouse atmosphere, but you saved $11.67. cha-ching!

Personally I can’t wait till June. I’m going to eat my weight in roadside strawberries and stay the hell out of the big stores until the first frost! who’s with me?!

5. Leo K. Moncel says:

Oooh, I just can’t abide such slander (or libel, I suppose) of No Frills. I’ll be the first to shout that Price Chopper is a real stinker in the produce department, but No Frills’ produce is generally pretty good and it’s usually significantly cheaper than one of the three poisons OR a small green grocer.

As for comically oversized cereal boxes and what not, I do see what you mean, but I don’t resent No Frills for saddling me with discount Raisin Bran. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to save sixty cents.

Maybe this whole debate comes down to attitude. Like, I feel SO GOOD when I save sixty cents.

6. Jenny says:

I’m with you there when you say it’s probably an attitude thing above all… see I feel no different when I save a few dollars, but I feel awesome when I know that it went to a store with less overhead, or a system that doesn’t charge you extra to account for all the produce it has to throw away (big grocery stores toss almost 1/2 of what they take in fresh food wise, because they NEED the store to look full, even if it means a lot of the produce rots on the shelf) That’s how second harvest got started, saving produce from big stores green bins… who knew groceries were so complicated!? I don’t know what the soloution is, or the happy medium, or whatnot… I think it all comes down to who you are and what issue is paramount for you, whether it be atmostphere, food miles, cost, box size, or freshness… there is a place for everyone… Loblaws just ain’t it for me.

7. Gary says:

Yo Jenny, What up-Loblaws rocks!!!!! The turn around has begun…Hit the road and go back to your hippy store bitch!

8. John says:

JENNY GET A LIFE. YOU COMPLAIN TOO MUCH. YOU GET A BETTER VARIETY AND SELECTION OF GOODS AT LOBLAWS THEN ANY OTHER STORE.

9. Susie says:

It’s a very sad place to shop and a very sad company o work for. Nothing but yes-men and have no clue of how to run a food retail business. Galen Weston should realize that what he has done is make Loblaws an upsetting experience for everyone.

10. Jenny says:

Bitch? Woah Gary, deep cleansing breaths…
    AND JOHN YOUR CAP LOCKS ARE ON. JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW…
    and both of you can go suck a fucking lemon, from wal-mart, grown by Nazi’s for all I care… if you don’t like my opinion, stop reading it. Have a super great day.

11. Jenny says:

and thank you Susie for your opinion, and for taking the time to comment without insulting me OR writing in cap locks. I appreciate it!

12. Peter says:

I’m coming in a bit late here but I just have to vent to someone about price gouging. Jenny probably doesn’t eat potato chips but I love a few with a pre-dinner drink. Anyway, yesterday I went in to my local no-frills because their no-name chips are actually quite good, and found that the price has gone up – again. Just a few months ago the price was $0.99, then it went up to $1.29 and now it’s $1.49 … a 50% increase. But wait …. the sneaky bastards have simultaneously reduced the weight from 230g to 200g! They probably think we won’t notice and we’ll just throw a bag or two into the basket. Well, I noticed and I refuse to buy them – I will manage without my fix of chips. I hope others will join me but I suppose most will just pay up and not complain. Even if you could find the store manager, they don’t care anyway.

13. Bryan Hopton says:

Yeah, because it’s Loblaws’ fault you bought a moldy coconut. Let’s examine: You could not see the crack because of the wrapper. So… What makes you think the kid in produce could? Do you think they actually have time to paw over every single coconut and ensure that there are no cracks? These kids get maybe 6 hours worth of shift to put out case after case after case of fruits and vegetables. Don’t fucking look down on them just because you think (and you’re entirely mislead, I have to say) that you’re better than them. People who work these jobs (myself included) take shit from people like you all the time, and for what? Because you have to take time out of your day to exchange a coconut? Big deal. I’ll feel sorry for you when I’m done running halfway across the fucking store to find something for another fucking retard who doesn’t know how to read a god damned aisle sign and find the fucking pasta sauce for himself.
    #11: Well, see my above statement. It pretty much covered everything.
    #10: I really don’t understand the problem here. You’re adverse to saving money and not having to buy barbeque sauce as often? What? If this is such a huge problem you can find recipes online and make your own for about the same price.
    #9: Oh now come on already. Seriously? I’m just as uninterested in pre-made Naan or hummus as the next guy, but it’s not worth complaining about. Not everyone knows enough about these foods to make them themselves. No one’s forcing you to eat them, so what is your problem with them? You’re just struggling to find fault in everything around you, it seems.
    #8: This one doesn’t even make sense, sorry. You just randomly blew a sale on common household items so far out of proportion that you’ve found a way to use it in accusing Loblaws of being environmentally detrimental? Like it or not people drink bottled water and use paper towel. The bottles are recyclable and the towel is bio-degradable. I kind of don’t really understand the argument.
    #7: Tabloids have been placed by the cash register for years. Who gives a shit? I don’t like them either. That doesn’t mean you have to buy them all and read every last page. They’re just there for the sake of having something to look at while you wait, if you’re bored enough.
    #6: I don’t know where you shop, but the store I work at makes a lot of different breads throughout the course of the day. If you don’t like what’s out, here’s a wacky idea: ask someone at the counter if they have anything different coming out in the next short while. Otherwise, most of the baked goods from outside the store are baked fresh and brought in daily. Again, you’re bitching about a problem to which there is a simple solution. Also, again, smaller bakeries are all over the fucking place. Just go to them if you want bread.
    #5: How slow do you walk? Produce, dairy, deli and bakery are within close proximity at just about every store I’ve ever been to. In fact, deli and produce are almost always RIGHT NEXT to one another. 2 minutes across the store to the pharmacy and that’s it. If you have to exaggerate THAT MUCH just to try and make a point, then your point hardly seems worth making.
    #4: All of those answers can be found easily. Question 1: Which is cheapest without getting into “That looks awful” territory? Question 2: Does this smell like shit? Use those two when buying bathroom products, and you’ll never spend more than 3 minutes in that entire section again.
    #3: Yeah it’s a stunner when the pock-marked 15 year old stacking apples in a grocery store can’t tell you every last detail about a fruit he’s probably never even eaten. Christ, I couldn’t even tell you that in my own store, and I generally know my shit. If you want this kind of attention to detail, you’re not going to find it in ANY supermarket or even most mom ‘n’ pop stores. Go to a fruit market that deals specifically in organic produce. For that matter, there are organic supermarkets sprouting up nowadays.
    #2: Teengagers being horny. This comes as a surprise to you? I’m sorry did you not go to high school? Do you have no idea what a 16 year old male is? A 16 year old male is a 5′ 9″ walking erection loaded with so much testosterone that it could kill the Hulk with its bare hands. That’s what a teenaged male is. Not to mention the fact that maybe, just maybe, some people are just trying to be friendly and joke around. I carry on with customers in almost the exact same way you’ve described (I’m 24, for the record) and you would be the first I’ve noted as taking some kind of adverse reaction. Just because a male is being nice to you, that doesn’t mean he’s hitting on you. Don’t flatter yourself so much, it’s very unbecoming.
    #1: So here’s what you do: Go get your interior design diploma, build a reputation, and get a job designing stores for Loblaws. Until you do all that, though, who gives a shit? You go there to buy food, not admire the fucking walls.

Now, why, you may ask, did I take such offense to all of this? So much so that I felt it necessary to respond in full to your petty little grievances? Simple. It’s clear from the tone of your muddled, ignorant ranting that you have absolutely no idea how much shit that we, the poor saps stuck working in these hellish pits of despair, have to take from people like you. You clearly don’t have any respect for the people who are stuck in these jobs, and you seem to think you’re better than they are for some reason. As others have said: If you don’t like the way these stores operate: go somewhere else. You can pay higher prices for the same stuff at some privately-owned store. But you won’t. I know you won’t. You’ll keep coming back and bitching at the employees in the store while they wait on you hand and foot as if you expect them to give a shit.
    Don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to be blatantly offensive or anything. It just seems like your complaints are all stemming from a total lack of understanding.

Also, Peter:
    You have to understand that in larger stores like this, no, the store manager doesn’t give a shit if you complain that the price on a bag of chips went up. What do you expect him to do? He doesn’t set the prices. They’re set by the stores only because we have to pay a certain amount to the supplier. Similarly, what makes you think the store had anything to do with the shrinking size? If you have a problem in that respect, you need to speak to someone at No Name directly, not a store manager. They honestly don’t care because they probably heard the same complaint 100 times before you got there, and besides, there’s nothing they can do anyway. You’re not going to change the weight and price of a bag of chips by not buying them. Sales go down, the costs of other things will go up too to try and balance the loss. Assuming of course, one person will make a difference (it won’t). Don’t blame the store, or the people that work there for the decisions made by a company whose product they’re selling. That doesn’t make sense.

14. mobrien says:

Oh god, I can add to that list. My biggest produce pet peeve is the waxed vegetables, especially waxed tomatoes. Nothing like going to the grocery store on a hot day to pick up some nice veggies for a salad and finding that everything you touch is tacky. When I see a waxed tomato, I don’t think about how nice and shiny it looks, I think about how long it will take me to rinse the wax off so I can get to cleaning off the really harmful stuff underneath it. I am glad I have access to a farmer’s market at least it the summer.

15. Jenny says:

Okay, Bryan.
    Firstly, I should point out, that I ACTUALLY WORK in the produce section of a grocery store… about 40 hours a week on average. One of my primary concerns in that section is knowledge of products, and second, quality control. I sort through oranges, peaches, apples, plums, EVERYTHING on a regular basis to make sure that the store is both appealing and that the produce YOU or anyone else buys, is up to snuff. If the store is so large that the feasibility of checking for bad produce is compromised, I would argue you should either get more staff, or downsize the amount of food you carry. But that is just me.

My second point, is that this article is not a thesis, or research paper. I am not slapping my name on it and sending it into the ecologist or the New York Times for publication… you know why that is? because it is a humorous, slightly exaggerated expression of my personal feelings about Loblaws (that I am fully entitled to have.)

You continually direct me to shop elsewhere if I hate it so much, but you failed to notice at the beginning of this article that I mention that most of the time I DO shop elsewhere.

As for my “muddled, ignorant ranting”… if you and I were to sit down and have a conversation you’d realize that my humor pieces (and that is typically what I write for MONDO…) are not actual representations of my real-world intelligence, they are more observations, summed up in somewhat funny paragraphs. (you’ll notice I recently claimed to produce nickles… and you know what’s weird… no one wrote in to tell me how stupid I was for saying so! Do you know why? beacuse it was funny.)

It may surprise you to know, I am actually doing my Masters degree in Food-studies, food choices and health care. So I’m not sure if I can officially be called “ignorant” on the topic of food, grocery stores, slotting, dietary choice, global market share, fair trade, organics and all of the other issues at play in the produce section. In fact, I’m actually approaching being an official “Master” of Food Issues. Seriously.

Now moving on to some of your “points” about my non-serious article… which you claim to have disagreed with, though you, yourself describe working at Loblaws as “hellish pits of despair.”

#11 we will leave alone, because you thought you had “schooled me” on the woes of a grocery store employee, and well, I work doing your same job, somewhere else, so eat that fucker. Moving on.

#10 Now, I do make BBQ sauce myself, but that is besides the point. See you thought you were responding to my statement but you weren’t. (It was actually that incentive to buy larger quantities of food in order to save money is also a way to get you to eat more food, which is in the best interest of loblaws.) Now I’m not adverse to saving money, nor do I think I said that… I was merely implying that the bulk discount seems to be king there, and that is annoying, especially if you live on your own like me, and it would take 2 years to eat that much sauce, and quite a lot of space in my fridge. it’s impractical. That was my point. don’t bother rebutting me with “it’s practical for a family of 5″ either, because I’m not a family of 5, so your point would be moot. We can just save everyone some time.

#9 here we come back to the humor part of my argument, which was why that point was longer than “food in bags is gross, they have lots.”

See I don’t buy cultural foods in bags, which I previously stated. Neither do you it seems, so it appears we are in agreement and YOU are the one trying to find fault where there is none in my article, when you have no beef with that point. But you can’t skip one of my points, then you wouldn’t be really showing me how stupid I truly am, right? it’s good to make a plan and stick to it.

#8 Wait, you mean I didn’t accurately depict the exact shopping paterns of the average Loblaws customer? Why would I have perhaps embellished this paragraph… OHHH right, it’s a humor piece.

(And Bottled water, for the record, has a lot more wrong with it than the bottle it is in brother… ask anyone in Guelph Ontario what the trouble with bottling water is… or hey, try listening to the news once or twice a year. And Swiffers and those sponges with the soap in them ARE retarded and really wasteful, but again, you avoided commenting on the part of the argument that was true.)

#7 and I said that I did see the tabloids while I waited, and I don’t even pick them up. I never said that I bought them. You do find them at grocery stores though… and again, you yourself agree they are stupid. but, like I said earlier, you planned to comment on everything. Good follow through.

#6 I do go to smaller bakeries. Thanks for the tip. Again, did you notice the poop joke in there? classic.

#5 Okay, here I need to actually give your head a shake. See Grocery stores are expertly designed to actually cause you to walk through the whole store for essentials. It is proven that the more stuff you see, the more you will buy. This is also the logic that made “slotting” a booming industry. See companies pay more to have their stuff put at the end of isles, near the cash register, or at eye level on the shelf, because people just “passing through” will see it, and it’s accompanying deal, and think “do I need that?” or “mmm, that looks good”… I’m not saying we are without free will in the store, it is correct that the customer chooses to buy what they see in the store, but you can’t deny the craftyness of using the store and it’s layout to spread out the both the exposure to products and thus the likelihood that the customer will both buy more than they had originally intended to, and therefore spend more than they intended to as well. Now, I get that it is all just business, but I get to find it annoying when the bakery is on one side, and the produce on the other, the meats at the back, and the cash at the front. I’ve never been to the store you work at, but I’d bet you dollars to doughnuts that’s the layout. So I’m not exaggerating the point, in fact, I was actually condensing it into a humorous little quip, and I do believe it is worth making, in either form.

#4 you’ve again, missed my point. See I wasn’t complaining about the actual amount of deodorant, it was something called: An example. You’re getting educated now, so I’m sure eventually the concept will come up, and now you’ll know what it means! (think of the advantage you’ll have over all the other kids in your class!) There is an excess of choice everywhere in a capitalist society, and many great philosophers have examined the issue of choice = freedom, and they have found that though choice is good, an excess of choice can be binding as well, because when you swing too far the other way. And for the record, I don’t believe that Loblaws represents choice in the true sense either, they give us a choice of “brands” or “growers” for our produce, but a really really good example is that you can’t really buy a lot of Canadian produce, even when it is in season at Loblaws, because they have contracts with growers in the states that are year-round, so they actually have to buy twice as much if they want to sell the Ontario stuff, so they don’t breach contract. There is a great big world out there that is so much more complicated than it seems, and like my article, Loblaws too has a dagger up it’s sleeve, though it seems benign and light on the outside. You should learn that before you go running your mouth in the future.

#3 “Christ, I couldn’t even tell you that in my own store, and I generally know my shit. If you want this kind of attention to detail, you’re not going to find it in ANY supermarket or even most mom ‘n’ pop stores.”

Oh no, see here you are dead wrong. See I again, do your job, and I ACTUALLY know my shit, where as you, THINK you know your shit. Ask me about anything in the whole store. Anything. See it’s easy if you care, read, think, ask, or remember from last time. so your capital “ANY” is wrong. Plus, there is a fuckload more to produce than organic vs non organic, and lots of reasons not to buy some organic stuff, and why to buy others, all of which I could tell you, because I work in a grocery store, and answer questions like that happily and informatively, without referring to my customers as “retards” (like you did in your opening paragraph) every day.

#2 “A 16 year old male is a 5′ 9″ walking erection loaded with so much testosterone that it could kill the Hulk with its bare hands.” Aweee, now who’s the comedian?

“Just because a male is being nice to you, that doesn’t mean he’s hitting on you. Don’t flatter yourself so much, it’s very unbecoming.”

Contrary to popular belief, I am not stupid, and can tell the different between being chatted with by males and being hit on by males… plus, I wouldn’t need to flatter myself, because as you just stated, any horny teenager would try and jump my bones, so, my first observation was correct… again, you agree, so why did you make it a point to discuss this with me. I am also 24. How cool is that? we are like twins! we both work in grocery stores, we are both 24… except, you didn’t really think your criticism through, and well, I can back all of mine up. snap!

#1 see, you fucked up again here, because if no one looked at the walls, why bother painting them? If no one cared, why make it look like a marketplace? There are subtle hints at play, things to make it look less like a food warehouse, and more like a cobblestone street in Florence… so no, you didn’t convince me.

And to conclude.
    you said: “See I can’t understand what you’re complaining about. I work in a Loblaws store as a means to finance my education, and I’ve never come across the multitude of problems you’re describing.”

It would seem you’ve actually come across all of them…So my word of advice to you is if you are financing your education, might I suggest investing your money a bit more carefully in the future?

As well: “You can pay higher prices for the same stuff at some privately-owned store. But you won’t. I know you won’t. You’ll keep coming back and bitching at the employees in the store while they wait on you hand and foot as if you expect them to give a shit.”

I can and do shop elsewhere when I want to. Also, I never EVER said I had bitched at an employee. See I’m not the type of person that seeks out a stranger and aggressively takes my anger out on them for the actions of others (unlike some people *cough*.) I respond, however, when someone is agressive towards me. (ie: you)

I understand it is not going to help anything to bitch at a minimum wage employee at a grocery store, restaurant, coffee-shop, or really anywhere. So please don’t put words in my mouth, because it makes it easier for you to criticize my stance. Just because you have decided I’m the worst type of person, doesn’t mean I am.

To me, it sounds like you have a lot of pent up rage, and I was the selected target. I can take it, so don’t sweat it. We all make mistakes.

Yours in grocery store employment,
    Jenny

16. Con says:

I hate them too Jenny, and I enjoyed you letter! Thanks for the pick me up.
    Sorry you had to even go in there.

17. jun says:

i totally agree with u.
    I bought two products there and they said i can’t return it
    ps. I only used it once and they said if i used it once, i can return it
    they are douche bags!

18. Anne Beamish says:

I love this! My lovely Loblaws has installed its Joe line in the middle of a smallish store and taken out entire categories of food. Of course they kept all the crap they like to unload on people (plastic table cloths?) yet are charging 5 cents for a bag if you forget yours. They don’t charge for Joe bags though. I can’t stand that place.

19. john says:

you guys have no clue……idiots…..try managing one….oh sorry you can’t. suck mouldy lemons

TrackBacks / PingBacks